I promised myself that this blog would be more than me just complaining, but I would like to start out by saying this is quite possibly the worst day of my entire life.  I'm swollen; my ears, nose, and throat hurt; I'm bleeding and drooling; and I'm just generally uncomfortable.

Yesterday I got up at 4:00 a.m. and made it to the hospital around 5.  Me and my mother went back to a room and I got in my purple gown for surgery.  A lady injected me with Lidocaine and put in my IV and put this tube in my gown that made it all warm.  I liked it.
At some point my dad came back and she taped up my hair in a towel.
My awesome pastor came by at around 6 and we all prayed together.  Al Roker and Paula Dean were right across the street, too, so we watched them on T.V. a little while.  A lady wheeled me out of the room and had me say goodbye to everybody, and I don't have a clue what happened after that.  The next thing I remember was somebody putting me in a different gown and bed in recovery.  Seriously, I don't even slightly remember anything else of the next few hours except going to the bathroom every five minutes and throwing up on myself.  I got bloody vomit all over the bed too, so I got up for a few minutes.  At some point I took this picture of myself.
My oh, so comfortable ice packs and oxygen mask.
It looks pretty bad right now, but my nose looks cuter and my chin is about half the size it was before the procedure.  The rest of the day and night is really just a blur of waking up and falling back asleep a few times an hour.  My nurse came in and started getting me ready at about 5:00 a.m. and we left the hospital at around 6.  The ride home was pretty rough, but I survived.

Since then I've napped off and on and tried to take all my medicines, but I'm having trouble swallowing.  My tongue is huge and it hurts my ears and head when I try to swallow.  My antibiotics aren't too bad, but my Lortab really burns when it goes down.  I'd been avoiding taking it, but finally my pain got bad enough that I started crying, which hurt worse than the burning medicine, so I eventually took it.

I would have to say that one of the worst parts about this is that my feeling is starting to come back in patches and those patches tingle and constantly feel wet, so that's very disorienting.

I guess that's all that I can think of right now, so here are my pictures from today.
My lovely attempt at a smile.
¡Hasta mañana!

Currently Reading: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens
Current Weight: 113.3 lbs
Current Tasks: Trying to eat
Melonie Palmer
6/17/2011 12:41:48 pm

Wow Susan! You are mighty brave. I am proud of you for doing this . I hope you will feel better real soon.

6/17/2011 01:10:36 pm

You are a terrific young lady and I love you very much! You used to be kinda wimpy I thought, but wow, you are a really brave. I can't wait to see you smile again. Praying you will heal quickly. God bless you, Kay

Matthew Kendall
6/17/2011 10:11:04 pm

Goodness gracious. That looks extremely painful. Good to know everything turned out well :-)

6/18/2011 03:06:05 am

Thank you, I'm feeling a lot braver right now than I ever have before!
Everything's going well since I started taking my pain medicine.
Thanks for all your prayers!

Ron Burns
6/18/2011 07:23:07 am

I have been and will continue praying for you! I am very proud of you! Stay strong!

Evans Hodges
6/19/2011 01:25:01 am

Hey Susan! I love the idea of a blog to document all this. I think it's very brave of you to go through with the surgery and also to show the world exactly how you feel in the most vulnerable stages of your recovery. Stay strong, you're an inspiration to us all!
~Evans Hodges

6/21/2011 07:52:23 am

Thanks guys! But really, it's everyone who's keeping me in their thoughts and prayers that are the inspiration. You, my wonderful friends and family, are what's keeping me going right now.
I love you all!


Leave a Reply.